Layne has been in the wine business since the 1970’s. In that time, he has tasted many thousands of wines. As an importer, wholesaler, retailer, wine judge, winery CEO, radio talk show host and wine teacher – he has lived it all. He has spent his time in San Francisco; Portland, Oregon; Missoula, Montana; Richmond, Virginia; Charlottesville, Virginia and (finally) Portland, Maine.
This blog is a review combing restaurant menu, wine and beer (if interesting) reviews. Wine is about the context of food. Sadly, there is not blog that explores the synergy of food and wine together as a restaurant review. Restaurant reviewers either don’t drink the stuff or don’t care!
Layne’s accomplishments include:
- Great wine list creations! For the wine list he created for the Benson Hotel in Portland, Oregon, Layne received a Wine Spectator Grand Award.
- As a wine journalist he wrote wine columns for The Richmond Times-Dispatch Style Weekly and The Phoenix.
- He taught short courses on wine at Virginia Commonwealth University.
- He taught wine classes to both undergrads and law students at the University of Virginia.
- He has given guest lectures at the Portland Public Library, Maine; The Graves Memorial Library in Kennebunkport, Maine and Longfellow Books in Portland Maine. He has also been the keynote speaker at the Country Club of Virginia and 20 Milk St. Portland, Maine.
“This is the Kitchen Confidential of wine, a look through the curtain that is always closed.” – Josh Wesson, Wine Guru
Also available at Longfellow Books in Portland, Maine.